What's Gloves Got to Do with It?
Wearing disposable gloves is essential in cleanrooms, medical facilities, food service industries and safety jobs. Additionally, as a response to COVID-19, glove usage has expanded to almost every other public sector. But are protective gloves all they’re cracked up to be? Can they prevent coronavirus infection? What kind of glove do I need? The professionals at Medco Supplies are here to answer your questions.
What should I look for in a glove?
Wearing gloves shouldn’t sacrifice your fine motor dexterity. You still need to be able to effectively handle chemicals, tend patients and prepare food, depending on your occupation. Touch sensitivity is key when determining the dexterity of a pair of gloves. Can you perform your work without being inhibited? Does it cut down on your speed? Does it impede your coordination?
Also, consider durability. If you run the risk of tears or punctures, you should be alert to that possibility and be prepared to change gloves when it happens. Finally, consider composition and choose the gloves that best suit the type of work.
What are gloves made of?
Gloves come in a variety of compositions for different uses.
- Nitrile – these gloves are made of 100% nitrile and are latex-free, anti-static, and resistant to many chemicals. This glove provides excellent dexterity, sensitivity, flexibility and tensile strength.
- Polyethylene – this glove is perfect for food handling and light industrial applications. It provides a splash barrier for liquids and some chemicals. It provides good dexterity and sensitivity.
- Latex – these gloves are ideal for cleanrooms. They provide excellent chemical resistance while maintaining dexterity and flexibility. They are durable and strong for a whole day of work.
- Vinyl – these gloves are great for cleanrooms since they carry a low static charge and resist particulate shedding. They provide excellent tactile sensitivity for delicate work. They provide chemical resistance.
- Nylon – these gloves are for inspection work and are 100% lint-free. They are soft and durable.
- Cotton – these gloves are good for light duty work. They are all-around useful gloves to protect the hands against friction.
- Leather – these gloves are good for heavy duty work. They are lined with leather palms for durability and denim or cotton backs for breathability. They often have cuffs for added protection while working.
Do gloves protect me from COVID-19?
The coronavirus is considered to be transmitted through mucus membranes. If you are near a coronavirus-positive person who coughs or sneezes, virus particles could be transmitted through the air. Your eyes, nose and mouth are all prime targets for airborne pathogens. Also, if you touch your eyes, nose or mouth with fingers that have virus particles, you can become infected.
The same is true with gloves. If you wear gloves but still touch your mouth, eyes or nose, you can transmit the germs. If you wear gloves and refrain from touching your face, then take them off carefully and dispose of them correctly, gloves could be helpful.
Still, the general consensus is proper handwashing, with soap and water for over 20 seconds, is your best line of defense against COVID-19.
Get your glove supply today
You need gloves. It’s not an option in today’s industries. Running out of gloves can be a catastrophe, so contact us today for more information about shipping your gloves in large quantities to ensure you have the right protection available.